Australians have it so right
I’m writing this article beside the pool of my rooftop apartment on Bridge Street, Central Sydney CBD. There are worse places to write a blog. I lived and worked here in the City from 2010 to 2011, so I know firsthand just how great the country is and all that it has to offer.
From this trip, I wanted to share some key takeaways I think we can learn from the country as foreigners that I believe will make us happier, healthier and richer.
- With Aussies, it really is “no worries”.
- Aussies are genuinely nice people. “Hey, how are you?” is the standard greeting, and they mean it.
- There is no awkwardness like their is in the UK, the US and Canada. Ever.
- They smile and are optimistic about the future.
- They make the most of every moment and dance wherever possible.
One of my issues with the UK attitude is that we tend to take ourselves a little too seriously. It’s almost as if we have to pretend to be ‘grown up’, not smile/have too much fun and put on a versard that dancing in the rain is a little silly. There’s no need, and it’s more fun not to.
Short and sweet, let's learn from the Aussies.
JAMES LORD | Global Recruiting | Recruitment Insight | Hire Gen Y | Flexible Recruiting | Millennials